How to Open a School in India?
Posted on December 20, 2017 |
by Vinod Kakumanu
School setup process can be overwhelming, If not managed properly details can ruin big plan and unanswered questions can cause confusion. Quick reference steps to start a school in India –
- Decide the area/location of your school
- If the land is available for ready use, it is advised that you study target market, assess the feasibility of a new school at the location before you make any investments.
- If you wish to acquire a land, you may shortlist 2 – 3 locations, assess the feasibility of a new school at all the locations and decide on the location/land to acquire.
- Land required depends on the specific location you wish to open the proposed school, facilities you propose to provide to students, state board and other affiliations (CBSE, ICSE, etc) you are planning to seek for your new school.
- Determine the cost of setting up a school and plan launch date. Be prepared with the funds required to cover the setup costs and operational costs for the duration school is unable to support operational with school revenues. A Detailed Project Report (DPR), Strategic financial plan for 10 – 15 years will help setup process, financing, and future operations.
- Setup Organization: Primary or K-12 school established by this society/trust needs to be a not for profit organization, which means that the profit derived from the school needs to be used for the educational institute and not for the personal benefits. Private organizations cannot open schools in India, Options available to set up as a non-profit making body –
- From a trust or a society of minimum five plus members and get it registered under either the Public Trust Act of individual states or Societies Registration Act of 1860.
- A private entity willing to set up a school in India can also set up a company prescribed by section 25 of the Companies Act 1956.
- Comply Statutory Requirements: Requirements vary and are dependent on several factors – the type of school, the state where the school is established and laws of the location.
- Local Authorities; Fire, Traffic, Sanitary (Municipality or equivalent), building permissions, completion certificates
- Education Department; Approval for primary, middle and high school
- State Government; No objection certificate (NOC) wherever required
- Board: Appropriate board approvals
- Establish brand & create positioning strategy (alternatively, you can also opt for a franchise of other brands)
- Create a strong operational team to support the setup and launch a new school
- Statutory affairs
- Brand & Marketing
- Accounting, etc
- Setup up systems, policies and procedures
- Build a fully functional school
- Create academic programs & train staff
- Launch new school
People aspiring to start schools raised many questions during our interactions, Summarized questions and answers can be found at Most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
School Setup Services | School Setup – FAQ | About Us | Contact School Consultants