In most cases, new school start-up enthusiasts jump to construction stage of the new school building without assessing school project feasibility, planning budget, not considering any statutory requirements. The decision to jump stages is purely based on individual perception, a lot of money would have gone into the new school setup and operations – It may take several years to understand if the approach is delivering the desired results or not.
To avoid ambiguity, endless run time issues and to ensure you are making the right investment, we suggest a data driven approach to determine a sustainable school concept or school project feasibility. Some questions you need to have valid answers for before you begin or make any investment –
- Is there a need for school in proposed location?
- What is your target market and how are you positioning your school?
- What are the risks involved in the proposed school project?
- Under what conditions will be proposed school be successful?
- How much does it cost to setup a school and run it?
- How long does it take to setup a school?
DPR is a comprehensive school development plan prepared in consultation with the school promoters, an important start up guide for those who wish to start a new school. Further it acts as an implementation guide for promoters and can be used obtain loans for the proposed school project. DPR addresses all major issues concerning the project, namely –
- Vision & philosophy
- Organization structure
- Academic & beyond academic programs
- Staffing & Skill development
- Master plan & interiors
- Branding & positioning
- Statutory & legal issues
- Financial feasibility covering 15 years cash flows.
- Market pricing
- Documentation for staff and students
- Technology infrastructure
- Project schedule
Many options are available; you may consider any one or combination of these familiar options –
- State Board: State Government Recognized Board
- CBSE: Central Board of Secondary Education
- CBSE-I: CBSE-International
- ICSE: Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE)
- IB: International Baccalaureate
- IGCSE: International General Certificate of Secondary Education / Cambridge University
- Early Learning Schools & Child Care Centers; custom concepts based on the Theory of Multiple Intelligences, Reggio Emilia, Waldorf (Steiner), Montessori and early year foundation stages (EYFS).
There is no single answer to this question, Cost of setting up a school is dependent on several factors, listing few factors –
- Target market
- Capacity planned
- Value of land (varies by location and size)
- Cost of infrastructure design and build
- Facilities you wish to offer
- Academic and beyond academic programs you wish to offer
- Cost of educational supplies, staffing and other services
- How do you plan to brand and position your school in the target market
Minimum requirement is 500 – 8000 Square meters. However land required depends on specific location you wish to open the proposed school, facilities you propose to provide to students, state board and other affiliations (CBSE, ICSE, etc) you are planning to seek for your new school.
Approximately Rs. 1000 – Rs. 3000 a square feet, varies by location and quality of construction.
Depends on the pace at which you are able to establish brand awareness and enroll students. For a moderately financed venture, the operational break even should be within 1 – 5 years from the launch date.
Sometimes operational break-even may not happen as predicted, you still need to support operations and maintain the brand position. It is suggested that you plan the necessary cash flows well in advance.
This is highly dependent on the capital invested and the overall success of the school. In a normal case, the break even should be within 5 – 10 years from the launch date (not considering gains thru land value appreciation/depreciation)
Principal, coordinators, Teachers, Lab Assistants, Maids, Administrator, Accounts Staff, Gardner’s, Nurse, Drivers, etc.
You should meet the pre-requisite criteria indicated by the state board and other boards (CBSE, ICSE, IB, etc) you are planning to seek affiliation from.
We recommend to plan these based on the academics and beyond academic programs your school would offer, nature of learning environment you wish you provide to students.
Age appropriate facilities are necessary for all-round child development. There is no end to the facilities and amenities you can provide. Figure out what is adding to the cost and not adding to the enrolments and make sure they are used to optimum. Some of them include:
- Technology enabled classrooms
- Language Labs
- Science Labs
- Maths Labs
- Music Room
- Dance Hall
- Art & Craft studio
- Indoor / Outdoor sports facilities
- Multipurpose Halls
Over the years, we have found that each new school project presents unique challenges and opportunities. Deliverables for each new school setup are also unique.
Fee is calculated based on the nature of the project, tenure, specific deliverables and effort involved. We offer flexible charging models for the convenience of people aspiring to open new schools –
- Per consulting day (6 hrs)
- Task based fee
- Percentage of the estimated project cost (excluding land value)
- A monthly fixed fee for the project duration
- Revenue share
- Profit share
YES, Team School Serv is equipped to deliver services to prospective clients across India. School Serv team has experience in delivering services globally. Language, State are not any barriers for new school setup. Collaborations are a vital part of what we do.