Posted on April 25, 2018 | by Vinod Kakumanu
Land required for starting a CBSE school or for securing CBSE affiliation depends upon factors including the type of school i.e. primary, secondary, senior secondary; location of the school within the country. In case of Secondary schools, the requirement of land also depends upon the number of streams (science, commerce, humanities, vocational) the school is planning to run. We have detailed the specifications with regard to the minimum land area and infrastructure as given in the CBSE bye-laws—
Generally speaking, the land area needed for a starting a CBSE affiliated school is 1.5 acre. Specific land requirements are listed as under-
- For schools in Delhi, capital cities, Ghaziabad, Noida, Faridabad and Gurgaon of National Capital Region as well as in Panchkula (Haryana) and Mohali (Old SAS Nagar-Punjab) satellite cities of Chandigarh within the limits of their respective Municipal Corporation/ Development Authority has been fixed as 1 acre.
- For schools in Hilly areas, cities with population more than 15 lakhs, North-Eastern states and Jammu and Kashmir the area of land required is 1 acre.
- In any of the four metropolitan cities—Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai and within the state of Arunachal Pradesh—
- Minimum land area required for pre-primary to higher secondary (class XII) running science, commerce and humanities stream is 3200 square meter
- If the pre-primary to class XII School is running only 2 of these streams the area required is 2400 square meter
- For Preprimary to secondary (Class X) the land area required is 1600 square meter
- For tier 1 cities viz. Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Pune–
- Minimum land area required for pre-primary to higher secondary (class XII) running science, commerce and humanities stream is 4000 square meter
- If the pre-primary to class XII School is running only 2 of these streams the area required is 3000 square meter
- For Preprimary to secondary (Class X) the land area required is 2000 square meter
The school building and infrastructure
The dimensions of the classrooms as prescribed by the CBSE are minimum 8 m x 6 m. Well-equipped Laboratories with minimum dimensions of 9 m x 6 m. The prescribed dimensions for the Library are 14 m x 8 m
The specifications of CBSE with respect to the classroom space mandate 1 sqm space per student. The strength of any given section of any given class must not exceed 40 students. The playground must be big enough to accommodate a 200 m track and there must be space for a volleyball court and outdoor sports like Kho- Kho and Kabbadi.
The schools that are applying for up gradation of affiliation or switch over must understand the stipulations of CBSE regarding the strength of the school and corresponding classroom area. For instance, a school from pre-primary to class XII wants to accommodate 1000-1250 students it would need 1000 sq meter of minimum classroom area and then commensurate playground and facilities. It will amount to around 1 acre. As the number of students increases the sections in a class will have to be increased given the maximum strength norms. From preprimary to class X maximum sections for each class can be 3 and for XI and XII it can be 2 each.
Every school should have at least one adequately equipped computer lab with a minimum of 10 computers or computer student ratio of 1:20 and proper software. Wherever such facility is available, every school should have the facility of Broad Band Connectivity.
The land and school infrastructure specifications of the board must be adhered to for securing affiliation and eventual up gradation. You can easily find land required for CBSE school on popular web portal schoolprop.com
For assistance on any aspect of starting a CBSE school or obtaining CBSE affiliation, up gradation or CBSE switch over of an existing school, contact us.