• +91 95133 77282 / 83 / 84 / 85

Land and Infrastructure needed for CBSE affiliation

Posted on April 25, 2018 | by Vinod Kakumanu

Land required for starting a CBSE schoolNeed Help to start a school in india ? or for securing CBSE affiliation depends upon factors including the type of school i.e. primary, secondary, senior secondary; location of the school within the country. In case of Secondary schools, the requirement of land also depends upon the number of streams (science, commerce, humanities, vocational) the school is planning to run. We have detailed the specifications with regard to the minimum land area and infrastructure as given in the CBSE bye-laws—

Generally speaking, the land area needed for a starting a CBSE affiliated school is 1.5 acre. Specific land requirements are listed as under-

  1. For schools in Delhi, capital cities, Ghaziabad, Noida, Faridabad and Gurgaon of National Capital Region as well as in Panchkula (Haryana) and Mohali (Old SAS Nagar-Punjab) satellite cities of Chandigarh within the limits of their respective Municipal Corporation/ Development Authority has been fixed as 1 acre.
  2. For schools in Hilly areas, cities with population more than 15 lakhs, North-Eastern states and Jammu and Kashmir the area of land required is 1 acre.
  3. In any of the four metropolitan cities—Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai and within the state of Arunachal Pradesh—
  • Minimum land area required for pre-primary to higher secondary (class XII) running science, commerce and humanities stream is 3200 square meter
  • If the pre-primary to class XII School is running only 2 of these streams the area required is 2400 square meter
  • For Preprimary to secondary (Class X) the land area required is 1600 square meter
  1. For tier 1 cities viz. Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Pune–
  • Minimum land area required for pre-primary to higher secondary (class XII) running science, commerce and humanities stream is 4000 square meter
  • If the pre-primary to class XII School is running only 2 of these streams the area required is 3000 square meter
  • For Preprimary to secondary (Class X) the land area required is 2000 square meter


The school building and infrastructure

The dimensions of the classrooms as prescribed by the CBSE are minimum 8 m x 6 m. Well-equipped Laboratories with minimum dimensions of 9 m x 6 m. The prescribed dimensions for the Library are 14 m x 8 m

The specifications of CBSE with respect to the classroom space mandate 1 sqm space per student. The strength of any given section of any given class must not exceed 40 students. The playground must be big enough to accommodate a 200 m track and there must be space for a volleyball court and outdoor sports like Kho- Kho and Kabbadi.

The schools that are applying for up gradation of affiliation or switch over must understand the stipulations of CBSE regarding the strength of the school and corresponding classroom area.  For instance, a school from pre-primary to class XII wants to accommodate 1000-1250 students it would need 1000 sq meter of minimum classroom area and then commensurate playground and facilities. It will amount to around 1 acre. As the number of students increases the sections in a class will have to be increased given the maximum strength norms. From preprimary to class X maximum sections for each class can be 3 and for XI and XII it can be 2 each.

Every school should have at least one adequately equipped computer lab with a minimum of 10 computers or computer student ratio of 1:20 and proper software. Wherever such facility is available, every school should have the facility of Broad Band Connectivity.

It is to be noted that the schoolLooking to buy, sell or rent school property ? land should be contiguous i.e. it should be at one place. The land must be secured with a pucca boundary wall.

The land and school infrastructure specifications of the board must be adhered to for securing affiliation and eventual up gradation. You can easily find land required for CBSE school on popular web portal schoolprop.com



For assistance on any aspect of starting a CBSE school or obtaining CBSE affiliation, up gradation or CBSE switch over of an existing school, contact us.


How to start a school ?


Vinod Kakumanu

Founder & Consultant - School Serv

Vinod Kakumanu heads a team of school services professionals and is an independent commentator on Indian school education scenario. Vinod has assisted school promoters establish 35+ schools besides providing ancillary services to over 1000 schools across India. He envisions a future where quality education is made available to every child of the country. The focus he places on the quality of the deliverables and customer satisfaction has made him renowned in the field of K-12 school education.

Write to Our School Consultant


New School Setup

School Improvement

School Management

School Supplies

School Jobs

Most Read

Our Services


Strategies to consider for CSR in school education

Don’t just open a school, start a school that is ‘smart’

Accreditation of schools testifies quality of school education

Emphasize Infrastructure when opening a school

Teacher Training and Learning Outcomes

Use of CSR budget to improve early childhood education in India

A glimpse into International Baccalaureate® Primary Years Programme (IB PYP)

Sports and Health period made mandatory by CBSE board from 2018-19

How Corporate could Complement School Education in India?

CSR Spending for Improvement of School Education

Impact of School Architecture on Pedagogy

Psychological effects on school children in the pursuit of academic excellence

Major changes expected in CBSE affiliation bye-laws  

Need help in choosing undergraduate course/streams most suited for you?

Procedure for Opening a Primary School

How to establish a boarding school in India

Open an International School in India

Land and Infrastructure needed for CBSE affiliation

Documents Needed While Applying for CBSE affiliation

How to Buy Classroom Furniture and Playschool Material?

Affordable Computing Devices for Schools

Selecting Genuine Montessori Material for Schools

Selecting Interactive Whiteboard (IWB) for Schools

Structuring Preschool Curriculum – Waldorf and Pikler Preschool Education

How to Start an IB School Anywhere In India?

How to Start School and get IGCSE affiliation?

What are Montessori Schools?

How to Start an ICSE Affiliated School in India?

How to Start a New School in India?

Education based on Multiple Intelligences

Start Own Brand School or Franchise School?

Comparing CBSE and ICSE Boards

Comparing IB and IGCSE

Buy Sell Rent School Property

K12 School Jobs in India

How to increase School Admissions ?

Selecting a projector for classroom use?

How to Start a CBSE School anywhere in India?

Comparing CBSE and State Boards

CBSE, ICSE vs IB, IGCSE; Which is better for Indian Students?

Want to Start a School in India ?